[XeTeX] texlive13/harfbuzz problem with nastaleeq font

Kamal Abdali k.abdali at acm.org
Sun Jun 23 03:28:53 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> ... The font has a ‘ccmp’ feature for Arabic script
> that maps the space glyph to a 5-units wide glyph (that is practically
> the same as zero), I guess following the traditional practice of
> omitting word space in Arabic calligraphy. For some reason the feature
> was not applied before so the normal space was used, so it was a bug
> that had desirable effect (for some people at least).
>
> Since the font does not use ‘ccmp’ feature for anything else, it is safe
> to just disable it to get the old behaviour, or you can setup things to
> allow for looser interword spacing (which will not be that looser than
> the old behaviour, after all).

Amazing! When a feature was ignored, it had the desirable effect, and
caused frustration when properly taken into account. Thanks for diagnosing
the problem, Khaled. Adding RawFeature=-ccmp option in the font family
command (I don't know how else to do it) restored the happy state of
ignorance. The new output is at least as good as the one generated from
TL12 before.

Kamal