[XeTeX] Latin Modern, from TFM to Unicode

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jun 12 00:18:33 CEST 2013

Am 11.06.2013 um 06:04 schrieb Doug McKenna:

> It's getting from the 128 "code points" in the TFM files
> to the actual Unicode code points that I'm interested in.

Well, you could try to run tftopl, a convertor from TFM to an easier readable (TeX) Property List file. You could also look into the AFM (Adobe Font Metrics) file (or the AFT file, whatever it is). Then you'll see the clear names of the font's glyphs and their encoding.

When you check whether pdfTeX's MAP file (/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map or /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map) contains the TeX font name lmex10, then you'll find this:

	lmex10 LMMathExtension10-Regular " enclmmathex ReEncodeFont " <lm-mathex.enc <lmex10.pfb

This tells you that the encoding recorded in the file lm-mathex.enc transforms the font file's (lmex10.pfb) "natural" font encoding (as recorded in the AFM file) to the font encoding TeX uses.

There is no connection from the manifold of font encodings TeX uses to Unicode. If you'll find some, it might just be chance. (A different thing is *text* or input encoding.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Competition is the great erode of profits.