[XeTeX] XeLaTeX, xeCJK, Japanese: some general questions

Atsuhito Kohda kohda at pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp
Wed Jun 5 04:44:40 CEST 2013

Hi all,

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:31:50 -0700, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> About the gloss-japanese and gloss-nihongo....

I'm not a Polyglossia user so not so sure but I know that
TeXLive 2012/2013 already contains japanese.ldf like
/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/platex/japanese/japanese.ldf
on my Debian system.

> An English translation of the xeCJK manual would be very much
> appreciated (for me, Japanese is also acceptable....).

I can't find so many appropriate sites but there are some site
on xeCJK written in japanese:

http://zrbabbler.sp.land.to/xelatex.html
http://oku.edu.mie-u.ac.jp/~okumura/texwiki/?xeCJK

> I don't know why there are apparently so few Japanese users of xetex
> and xelatex.

Because there is pTeX from the beginning.

> the few people I know who use tex at all use platex + dvips + all
> kinds of horrible things to make their files.

I don't understand what you mean with "all kinds of horrible things"
but, recently, pTeX/upTeX accepts a file of utf-8 encoding and
dvipdfmx might be more standard than dvips.

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 18:26:15 -0700, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> Or should we forget about XeLaTeX and go for luaLaTeX?

In TeXLive 2012/2013, we already have LuTeX-ja so LuaLaTeX is
a good candidate but I don't think we need to forget XeLaTeX.
If you don't need vertical typesettings, I believe both
LuaLaTeX and XeLaTeX are good enough.
If you need vertical typesettings, I think only pTeX/upTeX
is useful practically at present.

Best regards,			2013-6-5(Wed)

--
 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>