[XeTeX] XeLaTeX, xeCJK, Japanese: some general questions

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 03:26:15 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have been using XeLaTeX for a while now. Most of my materials are in English, or mixed Japanese and English. Until now, I have been using the following setup:

- XeLaTeX + fontspec

- linebreaking in Japanese:

\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "ja"
\XeTeXlinebreakskip=0em plus 0.1em minus 0.01em

- Automatic switch between CJK and latin

\XeTeXinterchartokenstate = 1

% when going from not CJK to CJK
\XeTeXinterchartoks 0 1   = {\cjkfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 0 2   = {\cjkfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 0 3   = {\cjkfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 255 1 = {\cjkfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 255 2 = {\cjkfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 255 3 = {\cjkfont}

% when going from CJK to not CJK
\XeTeXinterchartoks 1 0   = {\latinfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 2 0   = {\latinfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 3 0   = {\latinfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 1 255 = {\latinfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 2 255 = {\latinfont}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 3 255 = {\latinfont}

\newfontfamily{\cjkfont}  [Mapping=tex-text]{Kozuka Mincho Pr6N}
\newfontfamily{\latinfont}[Mapping=tex-text]{TeX Gyre Termes}

This seems to work fine, but there are some minor nuisances (see later).

Today I learnt about the xeCJK package. Unfortunately, the manual is only available in Chinese. So my question is:

Xelatex, fontspec, xeCJK, zhspacing..... what is the best way to go? Which of these packages can be considered "mature"? Also, polyglossia does not handle Japanese (yet), what is the status there? Or should we forget about XeLaTeX and go for luaLaTeX? Some general comments would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wilfred