[XeTeX] Strange problem with Devanagari in GNU FreeFont

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:13:09 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with Devanagari in GNU FreeFont. I have two
Linux computers, one with Fedora 17, another with Fedora 18. I have
up-to-date TeX Live 2013 on both (I ran tlmgr update -all). I copied
the same GNU FreeFont files onto both computers to directories known
by fontconfig, ran fc-cache as root and fc-match -v FreeSerif finds
the right font file on both. I process identical test files. Yet on
Fedora 17 the result is correct but on Fedora 18 the result is wrong.
I can only suspect that for some strange reason some older version
forgotten on the F18 computer is used. Is it possible to find which
exact font file was used by XeTeX and which one by xdvipdfmx? I do not
wish to start with strace, it would give too much information.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/