[XeTeX] Automatic glyph substitution

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 11:16:36 CEST 2013

2013/7/18 Gareth Hughes <garzohugo at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 02:09 +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have simila problem with old (commercial) fonts from Storm's
>> Typokatalog. I have just extended the tex-text.map and it now
>> contains:
>>
>> ; TECkit mapping for TeX input conventions + Storm Typokatalog 4 fonts
>> <-> Unicode characters
>>
>> LHSName "TeX-storm4t"
>> RHSName "UNICODE"
>>
>> pass(Unicode)
>>
>> ; ligatures from Knuth's original CMR fonts
>> U+002D U+002D                   <>      U+2013  ; -- -> en dash
>> U+002D U+002D U+002D    <>      U+2014  ; --- -> em dash
>>
>> U+0027                  <>      U+2019  ; ' -> right single quote
>> U+0027 U+0027   <>      U+201D  ; '' -> right double quote
>> U+0022                   >      U+201D  ; " -> right double quote
>>
>> U+0060                  <>      U+2018  ; ` -> left single quote
>> U+0060 U+0060   <>      U+201C  ; `` -> left double quote
>>
>> U+0021 U+0060   <>      U+00A1  ; !` -> inverted exclam
>> U+003F U+0060   <>      U+00BF  ; ?` -> inverted question
>>
>> ; additions supported in T1 encoding
>> U+002C U+002C   <>      U+201E  ; ,, -> DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
>> U+003C U+003C   <>      U+00AB  ; << -> LEFT POINTING GUILLEMET
>> U+003E U+003E   <>      U+00BB  ; >> -> RIGHT POINTING GUILLEMET
>>
>> ; additional ligatures for Štorm's fonts
>> U+0066 U+0069   <>      U+FB01  ; fi
>> U+0066 U+006C   <>      U+FB02  ; fl
>>
>> I specify it as Mapping when loading the font.
>
> Thanks for that. I have never been able to build TECkit on my Linux box
> for some reason, so was hoping for another solution. However, I gave in
> and built TECkit on a Windows VM. It made me think that it would be
> useful to have an online library of mappings along with their compiled
> files. Does anyone else on the list have any useful map files to
> suggest?

A lot of mappings are already available in various packages (Arabic
and Indic transliterations). It is questionable whether other mappings
are useful generally or whether they serve just to a single person. As
rule in TeX Live, packages supporting commercial fonts only are not
included, that's why I have not published my mapping because it was
tested with commercial fonts only. If you think that a map may be
useful for some free fonts, I will make it and publish on CTAN.

It seems strange to me that you are not able to use TECkit on Linux. I
do it regularly and before it was included in TeX Live, I even
compiled it from sources obtained from SIL, even from its publicly
available svn repository. It always worked without any problem, both
on i386 and x86_64.

> Gareth.
>

>> 2013/7/12 Gareth Hughes <garzohugo at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi all!
>> >
>> > I am using Gill Sans MT for headings in a document that I'm setting. The
>> > font I'm using does not automatically substitute the ligature glyphs
>> > 'fi' and 'fl' that are supplied with the typefaces. Without editing the
>> > font files, is there an easy way to make the substitution automatic
>> > within the document? I know that I can use the \namedglyph command
>> > sequence with xltxtra, but I am hoping for something more graceful.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Gareth.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/