[XeTeX] Basic CJK support in Polyglossia

Hans Schmidt hans.schmidt.5 at gmx.de
Tue Jan 15 20:10:16 CET 2013

Am 14.01.2013 22:53, schrieb Jérôme Étévé:
> Hi,
>
> There's a pretty good post here that describes a simple method to fallback to
> CJK fonts even when they're mixed with roman text.
>
> http://latex-my.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/more-ways-to-typeset-cjk.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jerome.

Hello,

Thanks for the help. Although it did not work on my PC (somehow it gives
an undefined control sequence... weird), this seems to facilitate stuff
a lot. Although I guess there are still some problems which this
approach, leading to my previous sugestion in the first place.

1. You need to know that there _is_ a xeCJK package.
2. I don’t know if the package automatically detects Chinese and Roman
text (if yes, that would be nice), but if not, you have the problem that
you have to set up some things if you only want to write one or two
words in Chinese in a western text. This is also problematic if you e.g.
have Chinese AND Japanese in one document.
3. You have to read the complete package description.

I guess the first problem is the most severe one: If you write a text
with Latex, I guess you know about polyglossia. But when you want to
write a Chinese text, you need to know about xeCJK as well. So I wonder
why not just implement it in polyglossia: Make a frontend for all the
xeCJK options and facilitate the usage. You could just write while
load the xeCJK package, (maybe load a default font,) and set up the
\textchinese command or the \begin{chinese} environment.

I really think that this should be implemented in polyglossia. It
already has support for all other languages, so why not putting Chinese
etc. into it as well?

Hans