[XeTeX] redefining Unicode characters

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Jan 15 06:58:06 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:45:18PM -0500, Mike Maxwell wrote:
> We are typesetting a grammar that has instances of 'a' + combining
> macron + combining acute.  The publisher requires us to use a font
> that does not produce stacked diacritics well (the acute accent
> overwrites the macron, rather than appearing above it).

BTW, next XeTeX (thanks the new HarfBuzz layout engine), will try to
position the accents using their bounding boxes if the font does not
have a GPOS table, so it should produce better results in this case
(unless the font in question does have a GPOS table).

(the attached PDFs shows EB Garamond after striping its GPOS, with
XeTeX 0.9998 and 0.9999)

Regards,
Khaled