[XeTeX] PDF V1.6 too recent

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jan 10 18:40:14 CET 2013

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

> Converting PDF 1.6 to a lower version is a very complicated operation and
> not one XeTeX is well suited to do.  I don't think attempting to implement
> that conversion is a good use of XeTeX maintainers' time.

I agree, Mathew, and I am not requesting that.  If, however,
I have now understood correctly, and the diagnostic :

> ** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit specification.

indicates not that XeTeX (/qua/ XeTeX) cannot consume PDF 1.6,
but rather than PDF 1.6 as input is inconsistent with the
default output PDF version, then I do think that a clearer
diagnostic could be issued.  E.g.,

> ** WARNING ** Version of PDF input file (1.6) is newer than requested output version (1.x).

Philip Taylor