[XeTeX] Ubuntu and XeLaTeX

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:23:19 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Daniel Greenhoe <dgreenhoe at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would like to try using Ubuntu on a laptop PC. Is there a stable
> version of XeLaTeX available that can run on Ubuntu and that includes
> Khaled's recent fix of the unicode-math underbrace problem?
>
> I have little or no experience with Linux. Any other recommendations?

As a daily user of XeLaTeX on an Ubuntu platform, I *strongly* urge you NOT
to use Ubuntu's TeX packages. The best way to use TeX is to install TeXLive
from the Linux installer at http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html. Then
you can use the TeXLive manager (tlmgr) to keep up with the latest. The
downside to installing all of TeXLive is that it will take about 3.6 GB of
disk space. You can use the tlgmr program in its GUI mode and be more
selective to save space. It depends on how much you use TeX and friends and
how many different kinds of packages you use or want to experiment with.
But it's the only way to be up to date.

The Ubuntu packages split up TeXLive into various pieces, and puts at the
mercy and whim of the Ubuntu package maintainer for updates. You will
*always* be behind the latest if you use these packages.

Kirk
--
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found