[XeTeX] Ubuntu and XeLaTeX

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:08:26 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Daniel Greenhoe <dgreenhoe at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would like to try using Ubuntu on a laptop PC. Is there a stable
> version of XeLaTeX available that can run on Ubuntu and that includes
> Khaled's recent fix of the unicode-math underbrace problem?

You can't have a recent bug fix and stability at the same time.   The fix
is expected to be in TeX Live 2013, e.g., "Real soon now", but not soon
enough for people trying to finish projects now.  Fedora 18 is an
unstable/experimental distro and already has, e.g.,

$ xelatex underbrace3
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-0.9999 (TeX Live 2013/dev)
[...]
and uncode-math.sty is v0.7a, but the output still exhibits the shifted
underbrace bug.

> I have little or no experience with Linux. Any other recommendations?

Many TeX developers use linux, as it is very friendly to development work.
If you aren't using linux to build versions of "mission-critical" software
without the bugs that affect you, you are missing the real benefits of
linux.

TeX Live doesn't need high-end graphics etc, so you probably don't need or
want a cutting edge distro like Fedora 18.   Look around for helpful linux
users.  The main distinction between distros is whether they use rpm or deb
packages, so go with what the people around you are using.   Ubuntu has LTS
versions, but for your purposes it amounts to Debian with tail fins and
chrome plating.   Scientfic Linux is a free RHEL "clone" with rpm packages.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Dan

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia