[XeTeX] typesetting original with translation on top and bottom

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Feb 3 14:02:39 CET 2013

John Was wrote:

> One thing that helps is to have the English capable of squeezing
> up its \baselineskip so that the English, which tends to be wordier than
> the Latin, can be accommodated on the page without getting out of step
> with the Latin.

Oh no.  Groan.  You aren't facing folia on different grids, surely ?

> But there are so many ifs and buts about this that my brain has always
> given up when I have tried to grapple with the issues involved - I'd
> certainly be interested to see whether others manage to crack it
> (particularly with plain XeTeX).

One day, when the current (electronic) Greek palaeographical
crit. ed. is finally put to bed, I may see if my brain can
still cope with complexities such as this one.  But not today.

Philip Taylor