[XeTeX] xetex and the unicode bidirectional algorithm.

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 22:36:53 CET 2013

8
On 11/12/2013 5:27 AM, "C. Scott Ananian" <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:

> ..which is indeed the issue I am attempting to deal with (trying to
> put the discussion back on track) -- a bunch of user authored content
> which looks correct to a native speaker when using the unicode bidi
> algorithm (implemented in the browser).  Language tags are only
> applied sporadically when needed to correct some obvious issue --
> although the future Visual Editor project at wikimedia hopes to make
> language tagging a more integrated part of the editing process.

There are a number of problems with current implementations of web browser
web support.

If you are going to compare bidi  support in XeTeX with web browsers,  it
would be better to compare it with the proposed changes in HTML5 and CSS3
which will bring it more inline with key changes in Unicode 6.3 bidi
support.

> Language tagging uses the HTML <span lang="...." dir="...."> standard.
>  Directionality tagging uses <bdo> and <bdi> where necessary.

In most cases <bdo>  and <bdi> should not be needed.

But
> again, the point of the bidi algorithm is to avoid the necessity of
> manual tagging in many cases.

This is the idea in the proposed changes in HTML5,

More to the point which libraries is XeTeX using for Bidi support me how
up-to-date are they?