[XeTeX] xetex and the unicode bidirectional algorithm.

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Dec 10 11:40:29 CET 2013

Hi Phillip,

I will repeat I do not know Vietnamese so I can not give you
the utf-8 sequence for it. All I can say that in utf-8 the singular letters will
be encoded in multi-bytes whereas the english letters will be just one byte.

Now, i also, mentioned that differentiating western language poses a different matter!
"sang" in English and  "sang" in German an Austrian can not be singularly  deferentiated
as to which language it belongs to! All latin characters/letters.
Now, if "sang" is true Vietnamese and not a latinized form stand corrected! Though I have
a feeling it is latinized! If we are talking of the phonetic reprsentation, then a analysis
on text and belong singular text level is required.

It has been mentioned by others that seems to be a lack of multi-lingual utf-8
editors(input methods) on the other side also, Xe(La)TeX lack of implementation of
properly handling the unicode standard.

It is not the standard that is the problem, but the implementation of input and the
implementation of the output method.

True enough, Unicode is not by far finish and is still evolving with all the cavets
involved. Yet, the problem here does arises out of the fact that the unicode standard
and utf-8 encoding/decoding is inadequate, but in its implementation.
The culprit is not utf-8!