[XeTeX] Flipping parentheses/brackets in RTL context

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Sat Dec 7 08:01:02 CET 2013

Dear All,

I am preparing a book with small fragments of Hebrew and Arabic embedded
into a Russian text. In the process of this work I have upgraded from
XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.4 I used previously to  XeTeX,
Version 3.1415926-2.5-0.9999.3 from TeXLive 2013 which goes with
openSUSE 11.3. Everything seems OK, except that parentheses in RTL
context are no longer mirrorred, as they used to. I am attaching a
minimal example which demonstrates the problem.

I also have attempted to compile the same file with LuaLaTeX (defining
\beginR as \luatexpardir TRT\luatextextdir TRT), but it produces
essentially the same result (which is natural, since luaTeX, unlike
XeTeX, seems to know absolutely nothing about the difference between
LTR, RTL and neutral characters).

Googling and searching the archives of this list gave me no clues. So
does anybody know if it is possible to resolve the problem and get the
same output as with older XeTeX?

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Faculty of History