[XeTeX] Seeking short examples of complex renderings

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 12:10:27 CET 2013

Hi,

I have an extensive test of Devanagari at
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/xetex-test/, the same test was repeated
with the different revisions of the GNU FreeFont and a few more fonts
for comparison. The page contains both the results of the tests that
failed as well as the tests that past (now all bugs are fixed). Notice
that Indic rendering is really complex and a short test using a single
word will not help. There are quite complex words.

I can also send you a few Urdu words containing characters not present
in Arabic. And Urdu is typeset with Nastaleeq style which causes a lot
of difficulties for the engine.

2013/12/6 Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org>:
> Hello XeTeXers,
>
> Sorry for a not-entirely-XeTeX-related request but I think there may be some
> merit in it for XeTeX in the future.
>
> I have recently been toying around implementing my own layout engine, and
> have started to check that it works nicely with non-Roman scripts. This has
> already thrown up a few bugs in pango (which I'm using to do the shaping),
> and that's just with scripts that I can read. I am sure there are other
> problems in scripts I can't read.
>
> So I thought it would be a useful thing for people like
> pango/xetex/graphite/harfbuzz/other layout and rendering tool developers to
> have a visual test suite, a collection of short strings which stress-test
> their engines in interesting ways: placement of composing characters,
> mandatory ligatures, mixed LTR/RTL, that sort of thing.
>
> I have started putting a collection together but my own knowledge and
> experience is pretty limited. If you can contribute some short Unicode
> strings from a language you know which show an interesting rendering
> feature, I hope this will be something that can be beneficial to the text
> layout community as a whole.
>
> The test suite at the moment is at
> http://simoncozens.github.io/visual-testsuite/testsuite.html
>
> and you can contribute via github at