[XeTeX] generating a booklet pdf a4 to a5 in XeLaTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Dec 1 14:35:26 CET 2013

Am 01.12.2013 um 12:38 schrieb NMPOST7:

>> It's also possible to try 'texdoc -l a5' and then try the a5comb package…
>
> How do this. I am not following the flow.

This is no "flow". Texdoc is a command to find documentation inside the TeX installation, Texdoc also allows to open a programme to display the found documentation.

I think I never used the booklet or a5comb packages. No needs had come up in the last decades. But at university I used tricks to produce PS files with more than one page on a sheet of paper. They included manipulations of DVI files (like using dvips to print them on A5 sized paper) as manipulations of PS files. All was made possible by TeX related software.

With dviasm you can convert a binary DVI file into some text file, edit it, and reassemble it to DVI. It also supports the extend DVI format used by pTeX. Peter Breitenlohner once produced a version of dvitype which understood XeTeX's XDV format, an extended DVI format. There is just some demand needed to have these developments.

Inside the XDV file the magnification setting can be reduced to sqrt(2)/2. The PDF file can be converted to PS (with pdftops from the xpdf or poppler packages or with pdf2ps from Ghostscript. Then the usual TeX utilities to stitch PostScript files (psnup?) can be used.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

You can never know too little of what is not worth knowing at all.
			– Anon.