[XeTeX] bold small caps, but no regular small caps

Georg Duffner g.duffner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 12:06:43 CEST 2013

Hi,

XeTeX’s behaviour in this case is mysterious.

I tried Mike’s original tex file and got no smallcaps at all. After
updating Charis to 4.114 (from 4.106) I got the same behaviour as him:
no smallcaps with regular but with bold yes. When I tried again today,
there are no smallcaps at all – I suppose, after the update on monday,
the old version stayed in the cache and confused XeTeX’s rendering
choice(?), while today the cache was rebuilt without the old files, thus
XeTeX stays with graphite.

Now, if I extend Mike’s original example by italics (see below), things
get weirder: what is expected to be italic smallcaps is rendered upright
(see attachment). Is this another bug in XeTeX?

And just to make sure that I understand correctly,
\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+smcp} as in the second line does work as
expected, because the graphite feature in this case is named "smcp" like
the OT feature?

Best regards,
Georg

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Charis SIL}
\begin{document}
Here is some text in \textsc{Small Caps} and \textbf{\textsc{Bold Caps}}
and \textit{text in \textsc{Italic Caps} \textbf{and \textsc{Bold Italic
Caps}}}.\\
Here is some text in {\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+smcp}Small Caps} and
\textbf{\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+smcp}Bold Caps} and \textit{text in
{\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+smcp}Italic Caps} \textbf{and
{\addfontfeature{RawFeature=+smcp}Bold Italic Caps}}}.
\end{document}