[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9999.2 released

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 19:31:48 CEST 2013

2013/4/13 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 01:12:50PM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>> > I'm not sure I follow, but the output in your screenshot is the exact
>> > same output I get with XeTeX, what is the issue then?
>> >
>> It worked fine in TL'12, the PDF's that failed are in directory
>> http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/xetex-test/0.9999.2-r2525/ (ie XeTeX
>> 0.9999.2 and FreeFont rev 2525), see vatu.pdf in that directory.
>
> There are two things to compare against here:
>
> * the pre-0.9999 output (i.e. our patched ICU LE).
> * the Uniscribe output.
>
> Now given the situation of complex script support in OpenType, whatever
> Uniscribe does *is* the standard and if other renderers deviate form
> it, they are wrong (unless the deviation is deliberate, which is not the
> case here with AFAIK).
>
> So, what I'm saying is that 0.9999 output (i.e. HarfBuzz) is the same as
> Uniscribe, so it is right and the old output was wrong. You were
> implying that Uniscribe on Windows 8 was giving different result from
> 0.9999 but the screenshots you gave me show otherwise.
>
> So in short, unless Uniscribe is giving you *different* results than
> XeTeX 0.9999, the new behaviour is correct and the old one is wrong.

Sorry but saying that fonts used to work only due to equivalent lucky
bugs in both ICU and Pango and all firefox versions distributed with
CentOS and Fedora within the last 8 years (including the current
version 20.0) sounds really strange to me. To be sure I have just
tested a few private web pages relying on locally installed FreeFont
as well as http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/freefont-devanagari/ containing
the font on the server and everything works. Of course it would bother
me if other shapers generated wrong output, I would like to prepare
EPUB with Hindi texts.

Is there a possibility to obtain the output of my samples (preferably
online) from Uniscribe if I send the text and the font? I would like
to report just what is wrong, not to bother with tests that pass. I
have only legal installation media of Windows 98 and Windows XP (but
not installed anywhere because my old computers have crashed) and do
not intend to buy newer versions of Windows. I plan to buy an iPad
when I earn some money.

> Regards,
> Khaled

Zdeněk Wagner