[XeTeX] Help with Yiddish and ledmac/ledpar

Nathan Sidoli nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 25 16:15:41 CEST 2012

I've never dealt with Yiddish, but I've worked with a bit of edited
Hebrew, so this response may be of some use.

If you are using Xe(La)TeX, then you will have to use the arabxetex
package, if you want to do ASCII input. But, as far as I know, arabxetex
does not support Hebrew characters.

Your better option is to just use unicode input and something like
polyglossia, etc.

I have edited texts with Arabic and some Hebrew characters in the notes
(because one of the manuscripts was Arabic written in the Jewish script)
using ednotes. I found this is a fairly flexible package that can do
everything I need it to do (including multiple layers of notes, etc.).
The documentation for this package, however, is fairly poor.

The one issue that you may have is that switching between unicode input
of RL and LR character sets can be tricky and it makes it almost
impossible to do edit commands as usual.

Best,

Nathan