[XeTeX] Polyglossia and hyphenation with words containing brackets

Benedikt Poetig benedikt.poetig at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:39:43 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am dealing with large Latin texts and so I use polyglossia to get the
hyphenation right. In normal cases that works fine but since I am also
working with inscriptions the texts contains a lot of brackets, e.g.
»Imp(erator) Caesar / [M(arcus) Au]relius Antoninu[s] / [Aug(ustus)
p]ont(ifex) ma[x]im[us]«. And there the problem arise. As soon as a word
contains a bracket hyphenations stop to work. So

  a) is there any chance to tell polyglossia to ignore brackets in words or
even better to split a word before an opening bracket or after a closing
one?

  b) if so, what would be the starting point. (Since I am not such
experienced in TeX and a brief look over the language definitions in
polyglossia has failed, I would be thankful for any hint where to start
best digging deeper.)

Thanks,
Benedikt