[XeTeX] [Fwd: Re: FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari]

Steve White stevan.white at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 9 19:41:03 CEST 2012

François,

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM, François Patte
<francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:

> Le 09/09/2012 19:04, Steve White a écrit :
>> François,
>>
>> On my standard-distribution Ubuntu system, it's 'FakeSlant' rather
>> than 'AutoFakeSlant'.
>>
>> With that change to your file, I get the attached.  Is this what you
>>  intended?
>
> No, "AutoFakeSlant" comes from the cut and paste I have made from an
> existing file. What I wanted to say is that I don't understand why
> Zdének says that some ligatures are missing: kta, pta....

Oh.  I think he was referring to FreeSans, not FreeSerif.  And he's
right -- I had added some of those letters earlier this year, but
never finished the job.

> Difference between FakeSlant and AutoFakeSlant seems to be (this is not
> so much documented):
>
> FakeSlant the whole text is slanted

I don't have AutoFakeSlant...

> AutoFakeSlant: slanted text comes with the latex commands \textit{...}
> or {\itshape ...}
>
> Curiously, if you use FakeSlant, the whole text is slanted and there are
> question marks for any text you put in \textit{....}

I think there should just be a \slant function, which simply applys a
skew operator to everything in it.  This would be fine for most
purposes.  Why call it "fake"?  It would be a fake italic, but not a
fake *slant*.

Cheers!