[XeTeX] [Fwd: Re: FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari]

Steve White stevan.white at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 9 10:28:58 CEST 2012

I finally got Neal's examples working, too.  (The problem was, I had
altered the header tex file he provided, so that it would run with my
set of fonts, but had unwittingly also cut out one instance of
RomDev).  The process is: obtain the RomDev.map file, compile it with
'teckit_compile -u RomDev.map', place the resulting RomDev.tec file in
the same directory as the .tex files.  The xelatex the main tex file.

The result is pretty to my eyes; the conjuncts are working, as near as
I can tell.

Concerning Zdenek's comments:

The Devanagari feature lookup tables in FreeSerif are arranged so that
modern forms are default, and the more extensive Sanskrit forms must
be turned on by explicitly specifying Sanskrit as the text language.
(It is safest always to specify the language.  Unfortunately, xelatex
complains very confusingly if no tables are explicitly turned on by
the specified language.)

FreeSans is indeed derived from Gargi, but it has been extensively
modified.  It (is intended to) have complete support for Hindi and
Sanskrit, as well as Marathi.  If any conjuncts in FreeSerif are
missing in FreeSans, it is a bug.

Gargi has undergone big improvements this year, thanks to Monika Shah.
I have seen some interim versions, and have been told it will be released soon.
(The glyphs in FreeSans are drawn from earlier versions of Gargi,
and the font has developed independently since.)
My understanding however is that Gargi was originally developed by
Hindi speakers.

Cheers!