[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:54:10 CEST 2012

2012/9/7 Steve White <stevan.white at googlemail.com>:
> Hi Neal,
>
> If there are real problems, I would like to try to fix them.
>
> Would you please send me, all files for a test using FreeSerif only,
> with the command line you use to build it?  (I tried xelatex on the
> test.tex file and the header file you posted, but I had to make a lot
> of changes just to get it to tex.)

Hi Neal,

I would also like to see a small self-contained sample. Your file
inputs header.tex but it is not included. I fetched some header from
one of your earlier posts but it tries to load a lot of fonts that I
do not have and after 5 minutes creates half page of transliterated
text but nothing in Devanagari.

> Thanks!
>

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Neal Delmonico <ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I am happy to say that I finally got it working.  Those Freefonts were
>> installed on my computer no less than four times (not counting texlive).
>> Moodle installed them as did Joomla.  I had installed them from the
>> ports collection and apparently the system installed them, or perhaps it
>> was X-windows.  Anyway, I found them with the X-11 fonts.  When I got
>> them all removed XeLaTeX could no longer find FreeSerif.  I don't know
>> why the Texlive installation could not find fonts it had installed.
>> Anyway, I downloaded the most recent version of the Freefonts and placed
>> them in the X-11 font directory, ran all the programs so that X could
>> find them and voila! suddenly XeLaTeX could find them too.  Sadly, I see
>> that FreeSerif does not handle some of the common conjuncts well.
>> Guttural n and g do not combine, nor do d and g, for instance.  Also the
>> Devanagari was replaced by little empty boxes in my page headings Where
>> I put the Sanskrit titles of the chapters along with their English
>> translations.  Nakula and Sahadeva and even Sanskrit 2003 could all do
>> those things.  FreeSerif is a nice looking Devanagari font, but it is
>> still not up to where it needs to be in order for me to use it
>> regularly.
>>
>> Thanks for your help, everyone.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Neal