[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Neal Delmonico ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 07:28:51 CEST 2012

I am happy to say that I finally got it working.  Those Freefonts were
installed on my computer no less than four times (not counting texlive).
Moodle installed them as did Joomla.  I had installed them from the
ports collection and apparently the system installed them, or perhaps it
was X-windows.  Anyway, I found them with the X-11 fonts.  When I got
them all removed XeLaTeX could no longer find FreeSerif.  I don't know
why the Texlive installation could not find fonts it had installed.
Anyway, I downloaded the most recent version of the Freefonts and placed
them in the X-11 font directory, ran all the programs so that X could
find them and voila! suddenly XeLaTeX could find them too.  Sadly, I see
that FreeSerif does not handle some of the common conjuncts well.
Guttural n and g do not combine, nor do d and g, for instance.  Also the
Devanagari was replaced by little empty boxes in my page headings Where
I put the Sanskrit titles of the chapters along with their English
translations.  Nakula and Sahadeva and even Sanskrit 2003 could all do
those things.  FreeSerif is a nice looking Devanagari font, but it is
still not up to where it needs to be in order for me to use it
regularly.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Best

Neal