[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 01:35:04 CEST 2012

2012/9/7 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> Of course, you can specify exact font file in XeTeX (even
>> using the fontspec package in XeLaTeX) but then the file is not
>> portable.
>

> But isn't "non-portability" implicit in using system fonts,
> Zdeněk ?  As this very thread has exposed, your version of
> font F may not be the same as mine, and mine may not be the
> same as Neal Delmonico's, so I am not convinced that adding
> path-specificity to the font selector really makes things
> significantly worse.

Yes, such nonportability with system fonts is unfortunatelly normal in
XeTeX (for instance with the Deja Vu fonts). However, if the fonts are
properly installed, the document may have different line breaks and
page breaks but will compile. If the font is loaded from a specific
path and another user does not have the font in the very same path,
the document will not compile. Of course, the best way would be if the
OS maintainers updated the system fonts but maintainers of different
OS distributions have different policies and it is not always possible
to force them to update the OS distribution.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/