[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 00:06:45 CEST 2012

First, I do not see FreeSerif in your declarations. Anyway, it seems
to me that FreeBSD comes with an old version of GNU FreeFont (several
Linux distributions do the same). XeTeX then finds FreeSerif and
FreeSans from your FreeBSD, not the new version distributed with TeX
Live. The fonts distributed with the system have always the highest
priority, you canot override them by the configuration file. You have
to locate them in your OS, delete them and run fc-cache. XeTeX (as
well as other applications) will then find the fonts from TL.

Hope this helps

2012/9/6 Neal Delmonico <ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net>:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been following another thread here and decided to try out the Gnu
> FreeFonts.  I was burned by Sanskrit 2003 which does not handle the "r"
> in conjunction properly in some cases.  I upgraded to TeXLive 2012 and
> replaced Sanskrit 2003 with FreeSerif and ran xelatex.  To my surprise
> none of the conjuncts worked in the result.  I also tried FreeSans and
> found the conjuncts worked but there were other problems.  I must be
> doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it is.
>
> here is my header:
>
> \documentclass[10pt,titlepage,twoside]{book}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainfont{Charis SIL}
> \newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=RomDev]{Nakula}
> \newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit} #1\end{sanskrit}}}
> \newcommand\skttranslit[1]{\begin{sanskrit}\fontspec{Charis SIL}#1
> \end{sanskrit}}
> \newfontfamily\hindifont[Script=Devanagari]{Lohit-Devanagari}
> \newcommand{\hin}[1]{{\begin{hindi} #1\end{hindi}}}
> \newfontfamily\bengalifont[Script=Bengali,
> Mapping=RomBen]{Lohit-Bengali}%Arial Unicode MS, Lohit-Bengali, Free
> Serif, Vrinda and Code2000 also possible
> \newcommand{\ben}[1]{{\bengalifont{#1}}}
> \setdefaultlanguage{english}
> \setotherlanguage{sanskrit}
> \setotherlanguage{hindi}
> \setotherlanguage{bengali}
>
> I'm running Freebsd current.  Nakula and Sahadeva work fine, but
> FreeSerif does not.  Attached is a sample file (test.pdf) showing the
> result I get and another file showing the result with Nakula (test-2).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Best
>
> Neal

Zdeněk Wagner