[XeTeX] Linux Libertine

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at web.de
Tue Nov 27 13:18:53 CET 2012

Am 27.11.2012 um 11:56 schrieb Arash Zeini:

> As I said the problems started with the
> inclusion of the libertine- and biolinum-type1 packages.

On Linux you have the libfontconfig based font service. It uses commands like fc-cache, fc-list, etc. It has a configuration file named fonts.conf, maybe located in /usr/local/etc/fonts. Documentation can be found in the files fontconfig-user.html or fontconfig-user.pdf. What I'd recommend, besides reading the documentation, is to find the cache directories of the system and of you. The latter directory can by ~/.cache or ~/.fontconfig, maybe with some version number (as in ~/.fontconfig-2.4). This should be documented (set) in the fonts.conf or personal ~/.fonts.conf files. Then delete all the cache files and run:

	sudo fc-cache -v	# for the system
	fc-cache -v		# for you

Learn to check with the fc-* commands what fonts your service has, from which font files they come, and which features the fonts provide!

> And I have
> now noticed that when I update TeXLive, I get an error message for
> missing map files for biolinum and libertine type1 fonts.

Xe(La)TeX (and LuaTeX) does not use MAP files. XeTeX asks a "font service", that manages cache files of the installed fonts repository, to give it a font (and LuaTeX uses its own cache file). So repairing the MAP files (with pointers from strange or sick TeX font names to real font names and font files) only helps pdfTeX (XeTeX and LuaTeX use the real font names directly and need no mapping).

--
Greetings

  Pete

You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have, for instance.
				– Franklin P. Jones