[XeTeX] problem with the package polyglossia arabic and perpage

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 16 00:56:34 CET 2012

On Nov 15, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2012, at 5:05 PM, Jens Bakker <jbakker at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>>
>> I would like to ask you for help, please: I have just updated TeX Live by TeX Live Utility, and suddenly all my files that I have written with polyglossia using the language Arabic and the package perpage do not compile, while they just compiled a few minutes ago correctly.
>>
>> The attached minimal example seems to prove that it does not compile when the package perpage is used, because if \usepacke{perpage} is outcommented, the text compiles.
>>
>> What can I do?
>>
>> Thank you very much for your interest,
>> Jens Bakker
>

> Howdy,
>
> The console error message should tell you all you need to know:
>
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainlanguage{arabic}
> \newfontfamily\arabicfont{Scheherazade}
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Sorry, I forgot to uncomment the \usepackage{perpage} and that gave an error message. However, If I moved the perpage package after the font commands it seems to work fine.

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
\documentclass[11pt,a4paper,twoside]{article}

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{arabic}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont{Geeza Pro}

\usepackage{perpage}

\begin{document}
جاء زيد إلى عمرو
\end{document}

(I don't have Scheherazade so I am using Geeza Pro on my Mac.)