[XeTeX] Doubt about creating .tex file for use with xelatex

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:02:37 CET 2012

Dear friends,

I have been using plain latex and omega (lamed) for creating documents
in Malayalam and English for quite a few years now. Since these
documents use ASCII text in the final output, they have limitations in
search, copy/paste and indexing. Hence, I have been thinking of using
xelatex, so that, as I understand, its output contains Unicode text that
can be easily copied from the pdf file and searching inside the document
also becomes possible. However, I have failed in all my attempts to
create one document in Malayalam that can be compiled using xelatex. I
seem to get errors that I am not able to identify.

I have been able to run a normal .tex file with only English text and
get a good output. Now, I need to understand how I can include Malayalam
text also in the document. Any help in terms of a pointer to a good
tutorial or a sample document would be very useful.

Regards and thanks in advance,
Sasi
--
V. Sasi Kumar