[XeTeX] fatal format file error; fmtutil infinite recursion

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:56:32 CET 2012

2012/11/1 Lars Huttar <lars_huttar at sil.org>:
> Dear XeTeX users,
>
> I've posted a question here:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/79992/fatal-format-file-error-stymied-fmtutil-infinite-recursion
>
> and I'll respect your bandwidth by not repeating it in email. But it was
> recommended to me to ask on this list.
>
> The short summary is this:
> When I run xetex, I get the error "Fatal format file error; I'm stymied"

This means that the format file was created by a different version of
xetex. I hope that rpm can be used to verify the files or you can
uninstall TeX and try to install it again. I do not use TeX
distributed with CentOS, I always use TeX Live from TUG.

> When I try to correct the problem using fmtutil, I get the error
> "Infinite recursion detected, giving up!."

It seems that some of your files are corrupted

> Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Lars

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/