[XeTeX] font problem

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu May 31 16:07:10 CEST 2012

2012/5/31 A u <akupadhyayula at gmail.com>:
> Shiva,
> I did with Xelatex
> it is definitely font issue, I tried with "Nakula" it worked fine however it
> did not render well with "Sanskrit 2003" however the same thing when I type
> on Mac it renders alright with sanskrit 2003, I think it has something to do
> with itrans typing

No, it cannot be an itrans issue. The input goes (by Knuth's words)
first through TeX's mouth to TeX's stomach where all macros are
expanded. The expanded text goes through teckit mapping to the
paragraph builder. In this stage the font metrics is needed, thus all
lookup tables must be interpreted in exactly the same way as will be
used later when building the glyphs in the output driver (eg
xdvipdfmx). Thus it does not matter whether the input text is typed
directly in unicode or in any transliteration, the typesetting engine
will always see unicode.

> regards
> Aku
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Shiva Shankar <shivably04sdst at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am using AA_NAGARI_SHREE_L3 font for typesetting sanskrit verses.
>> The ligature "tryaa"(पुत्र्या) is not coming out properly. If I copy the
>> same
>> word in either openoffice or html(selecting AA_NAGARI_SHREE_L3 font) page
>> then ligature looks correct.
>> But when i typeset it using XeLaTex system then ligature looks odd.
>> Why this happens?
>>

>> --
>> Regards
>> Shivashankar