[XeTeX] Printer doesn't print formulas

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Thu May 31 14:20:54 CEST 2012

Hi,
On 30.05.2012 20:27, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Tobias Schoel
> <liesdiedatei at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> since some days ago, my printer stopped printing documents with math
>> formulas correctly. He prints until the first formula, then stops and ejects
>> the paper.
>>
>> The documents are all created with xelatex using TeX Gyre Pagella, Linux
>> Biolinum O and Asana Math.
>>
>> I haven't updated anything lately except for siunitx, which isn't involved
>> in all of that documents.
>
> The question: did you update printer drivers or OS?
Not conciously, which should mean, not at all, on my system.

> It is almost impossible that it would stop working without updating
> anything at all, neither TeX engines nor fonts nor printer drivers.
As I said, I updated siunitx via tlmgr. Could it be, that it updates
other files as dependencies?

> You didn't specify what operating system you are using.
Lubuntu 12.04 with texlive 2011 from tug.org.
  One very
> ingenious example was Apple's update to OS X 10.6.8 when all
> Type1-flavoured OpenType fonts failed to print on all Macs and the
> whole system was broken. At that time printing from Cups helped.
>
>> This may sound like a printer bug, but lets look at the following minimal
>> example.
>>
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>> \setmathfont{Asana Math}
>> \begin{document}
>> \[\int_1^2f(x)dx\]
>> \end{document}
>>
>> The printed document will be empty.
>> Replacing Asana Math by XITS Math results in \int_1^2 being printed, the
>> rest not.
>
> This only tells you that both OpenType fonts are broken. Do you get
> the same problem with TeX Gyre Pagella Math
> (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/tex-gyre-math/opentype) or
Yes, the same problem. (BTW: I copied this font to either
/usr/share/fonts/opentype or
texlive2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public. fc-list named it TG
Pagella Math but I couldn't load it via \setmathfont{TG Pagella Math}.
Only copying to the directory and loading it by filename worked.)
> Cambria Math (if you have access to that one)?
I don't.

>> Removing fontspec, unicode-math and \setmathfont alltogether results in the
>> whole formula being printed (in default font of course).
>
> But then the old Type1 font is used.
Of course.

> I would say that either OS is "broken" or there is some very very
> subtle problem that isn't manifested on anyone else's machine. From
> what I understood you had the same problem with LuaTeX and you didn't
> yet report if other OpenType math fonts cause problems.
I hadn't tested it with lualatex. I did now and it has the same problems.

> Mojca

Thanks for your help.

ciao

Toscho