[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and SIunitx

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat May 12 15:32:08 CEST 2012

2012/5/12 Tobias Schoel <liesdiedatei at googlemail.com>:

> On 11.05.2012 19:44, Bruno Le Floch wrote:

>>> As the siunitx documents state, there are simply too many combinations
>>> of font packages to hope to cover all of them 'out of the box' or indeed
>>> in the documentation, especially as XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX users may be
>>> with pdfTeX, so it cannot contain UTF-8 characters outside of the ASCII
>>> range.
>>>
>>> As such, I can only make general recommendations in the documentation on
>>> what to do to print these symbols correctly when using UTF-8 engines.
>>

>> I'm really no expert, but the siunitx package could include, e.g., µ
>> as ^^^^00b5.  This  would not make pdftex choke when appearing in the
>> false branch of an engine-dependent conditional.
>

> Could unicode-math-symbols be used? Can one load a package only dependent on
> engine?
> \ifxetex\usepackage{unicode-math-symbols}\fi

AFAIK there are four unicode math fonts:

Cambria Math (commercial)
Asana Math
XITS
Neo Euler

How theengine-only switch could recognize which fonts do you wish to
use? Moreover \Omega in the math sense must be typeset in math italic
while as a unit (Ohm) it must be upright and may be taken from any
font containing Greek. It would be better to have a unicode SI units
package that will allow users to select a font they like.

> ?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Bruno

Zdeněk Wagner