[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and SIunitx

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri May 11 18:44:00 CEST 2012

On 11/05/2012 17:36, Tobias Schoel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have done a few tests with the problematic symbols in siunitx (namely
> micro, ohm, angstrom, celsius, degree/arcsecond/arcminute) and different
> math fonts. You'll find source and result attached. As I don't have
> access to commercial fonts (which includes MS Fonts), I could only test
> some of them. The results aren't overwhelming.
>
> Is it possible and acceptable to include a package option or
> sisetup-option which makes the suitable definitions? It shouldn't be
> default, even when loading fontspec in xetex, but easily accessible.
>
> Thanks
>
> bye
>
> Tobias

As the siunitx documents state, there are simply too many combinations
of font packages to hope to cover all of them 'out of the box' or indeed
in the documentation, especially as XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX users may be
with pdfTeX, so it cannot contain UTF-8 characters outside of the ASCII
range.

As such, I can only make general recommendations in the documentation on
what to do to print these symbols correctly when using UTF-8 engines.
--
Joseph Wright