[XeTeX] xetex can't find font

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at inm.mh-freiburg.de
Sat Mar 31 13:45:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

 trying to render a plain tex document with custom installed fonts
using the xetex binary gives the following error:

> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi \
> 600 fssb8a.pfa
>
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for fssb8a.pfa.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>
> ** WARNING ** Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM "fssb8r".
> ** WARNING ** >> This font is mapped to a physical font "fssb8a.pfa".
> ** WARNING ** >> Please check if kpathsea library can find this font: fssb8a.pfa

Checking with kpathsea gives:

> orm at varese:~$ kpsewhich fssb8a.pfa
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/type1/public/scala_sans/fssb8a.pfa
>
> orm at varese:~$ kpsewhich fssb8r.tfm
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/tfm/public/scala_sans/fssb8r.tfm
>
> orm at varese:~$ kpsewhich fssb8t.vf
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/vf/public/scala_sans/fssb8t.vf

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 Linux and this is what I also checked:

- The postscript file actually is at the indicated position.

- the eplain, tex and dvips binaries have no problem to render their
  respective outputs of the file and find the font descriptions.

- updmap and updmap-sys show the inclusion of the respective map files
  for scala_sans.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 Linux and this is the xetex version information:

orm at varese:~$ xetex --version
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
kpathsea version 5.0.0
Copyright 2009 SIL International and Jonathan Kew.
<...>

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yours,
Orm
Prof. Orm Finnendahl
Komposition
Studio für elektronische Musik und Akustik
Musikhochschule Freiburg
Schwarzwaldstr. 141
79102 Freiburg
Tel.: +49-761-31915-167