[XeTeX] Is there a way to have a PDF generated via xelatex/xdvipdfm and not end up with CID encoded fonts?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Mar 27 20:41:44 CEST 2012

On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Michael Joyner wrote:

> I have a service I am trying to submit a large of number of PDFs to and they said they can't handle CID encoded fonts.
> Is there a way to have a PDF generated via xelatex/xdvipdfm and not end up with CID encoded fonts?

The only way I can think of to do this is to load the .pdf files into a tool which is able to save the files out re-encoding the fonts, picking a .pdf setting which doesn't allow CID fonts.

You should re-proof the files after any such transcoding though.

I'd suggest finding instead a printer w/ an up-to-date RIP, or asking them to test the files as they are --- I suspect they'll ``just work'' and it's an (over)abundance of caution on their part to not allow such files.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer