[XeTeX] List of ligatures in a font

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Mar 14 17:40:09 CET 2012

Am Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:29:42 +0000 schrieb d fulano:

>>\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
>>
>>informs the XeTeX engine to use the standard ligatures, as TeX would do by default.

> Many thanks for the prompt reply! But this is exactly my
> question::  how do I determine what are the "standard ligatures"
> in a font?

Peter has mislead you: Mapping=tex-text doesn't activate standard
ligatures in the sense you probably mean. It will activate some
"fake" ligatures like "--" to en-dash and "---" to em-dash which are
standard in the TeX-world but nowhere else, and which are not real
ligatures.

To find out which real ligatures a font has you probably will have
to open it in a font editor like fontforge and inspect the ligature
tables. I don't think that is possible to do it with xetex directly
(but it could be possible with luatex/luaotfload).

--
Ulrike Fischer