[XeTeX] Help with XeTeX/ConTeXT and CTL

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 06:20:18 CEST 2012

Hello. I need to use (outline fonts,) Unicode and Graphite, so XeTeX
is my choice for engine, and I am picky about my layout stuff so
ConTeXT is my choice for macro package. I hope there are others here
using this XeTeX/ConTeXT combination. I'm also using TeXWorks (on
Kubuntu Precise) as a GUI.

As I work with old Indic scripts for which there is no OT support (and
unlikely to be) I need to use Graphite. For details on our Graphite
font for Tamil Brahmi see
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29439014

So I'm trying to learn to use XeTeX/ConTeXT and need help. The
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/XeTeX page seems to be somewhat outdated
or at least devoted to European scripts which do not involve complex
rendering. In Indic scripts we mostly don't have all that serif/sans
stuff and what is important to us is that the text should be rendered
properly.

I have attached some test TEX files and their PDF output. I find that:

1) If I use the pure Context primitives: \definetypeface and
\switchtobodyfont, Indic scripts don't render correctly, even if I add
":script=xxxx" to the font name.
2) If I use the XeTeX redefinition of \font, Indic scripts which have
OT tables render correctly, but still those with Graphite do not. If I
add /GR to the Graphited font name even while using the XeTeX \font
method, there is no proper PDF output and the console output
(attached) indicates a *Segmentation fault* (of all things!).

Can anyone please help me how to get proper Indic rendering while
using ConTeXT primitives? Or is it not important to use these?

Especially I need help with getting Graphite fonts to work. Please help!

--
Shriramana Sharma