[XeTeX] Problem with Sanskrit2003 and XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 21:50:13 CEST 2012

2012/6/11 maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu>:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:09:10 +0200, <hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>> The conjunct consonant trya when printed with the font Sanskrit 2003
>> is not correct (त्र्य), although the correct form is produced by
>> simply changing to the "Nakula"-font. (The appended document contains
>> all the files.)
>>
>> Now Sanskrit 2003 contains the correct ligature on position U+e11c.
>
> U+E11C is in the Private Use area of Unicode, which seems to me just
> silly.  It's no wonder XeTeX doesn't find it.

The Indic ligatures are often presnet in the private usage area, it is
even documented. The lookup tables should contain the substitution
rule. Unfortunately, the specification of the lookup tables is not
well written and different engines do it in a different way so that a
font may work in one program but not in another. I am not able to
decide whether it is a bug in ICU or in the font.

Another note: support for Indic scripts is missing in luatex, the
output will be unusable.

> I don't know whether XeTeX has a mechanism to use a character in the PU
> area in place of an expected ligature encoding.  Maybe someone else on this
> list knows.
>
>   Mike Maxwell
>   University of Maryland

Zdeněk Wagner