[XeTeX] Extraneous comma shows conflict between memoir and xecjk package?

jon jon at newkanji.com
Wed Jun 6 21:15:25 CEST 2012

Greetings,

After switching to Tex Live 2012/Debian, upon compiling my book,  an
extraneous comma is insertedinto the body text directly beforeevery
footnote number.

THE GOOD
E.g., The following produces expected results.

\documentclass[12pt]{book}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Numbers=OldStyle]{Linux Libertine O}

\usepackage{xeCJK}

\setCJKmainfont[]{AR PL UKai TW}

\begin{document}
But if he doesn't ``\emph{See through it and let it go},"\footnote{看得
破,放得下。\emph{Kàn de pò, fàng de xià}.} the karma will carry
forward....

\end{document}

THE BAD
The following does not produce expected results. There is an *extraneous
comma* (or superscripted comma) inserted into the body text
directlybefore every footnote number.

\documentclass[12pt]{memoir}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Numbers=OldStyle]{Linux Libertine O}

\usepackage{xeCJK}

\setCJKmainfont[]{AR PL UKai TW}

\begin{document}
But if I don't ``\emph{See through it and let it go},"\footnote{看得破,
放得下。\emph{Kàn de pò, fàng de xià}.} the karma will carry forward....

\end{document}

XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-0.9998 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./test-for-extraneous-comma-before-fn-number.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
nohyphenation, th
ai, loaded.
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/memoir/memoir.cls
Document Class: memoir 2011/03/06 v3.6j configurable book, report,
article document class

The book is 99.5% typeset so it is not practical to switch away from
memoir at this point. If there is a way to use Chinese fonts without
using xeCJK, I could try that. Any ideas how to get rid of that
extraneous comma?

Thanks!

Jon
--