[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Keith J.Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Jul 31 17:41:02 CEST 2012

Hi Jonathan, All,

I have to disagree with you! Yet, the disagreement is on fundementals.
Apple, themselves state that MOST of the ATSUI features are no longer supported.

You can get some of that functionality back using Core Text, though most you
will have to by hand using Core Graphics.

Also, we would have to decide on what exactly is a true AAT-Font. Or at least
what minimal set of tables constitute a true AAT-Font most of ATSUI was based on using
these tables. Some of the tables are in use today by Apple for handling language scripts.
So, in a sense many of the TT-Fonts on the Mac are AAT-Fonts. But, who am I explaining
this to.

I remember a discussion we had about switch XeTeX from ATSUI to Core Text and you basically
said ATSUI was just used for font handling not rendering.

Well, I do not see why Lua should not be up to that task.

I never thought for one moment that there would be a clone API in Core Text to ATSUI.
As a matter of fact to get the ATSUI, functionality you have to use more than a couple of
Apple APIs, where Core Text is just the begining.

regards
	Keith.