[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Tue Jul 31 14:26:10 CEST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
> exceptional cases or for certain special needs like font variants, color
> etc. (OK, speaking from the perspective of a user who don't need
> languages with non-latin scripts …)

There's the rub.  Non-Latin scripts are a big part of the constituency of
XeTeX.  I routinely have to manually activate Korean-specific OpenType
features that are specified to be default but that XeTeX/fontspec doesn't
activate by default, just to get acceptable output in Korean at all.  I'm
just lucky there's an interface for doing that - more GUI-ish software
without a raw feature interface would make it impossible.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.