[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Jul 31 02:21:22 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 05:15:11PM +0200, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
> Not long ago, Jonathan noted about a particular problem that,
>

>     The best chance of fixing this will be if xetex is updated some day to use
>     the new harfbuzz engine, but there's no immediate prospect of that, I'm
>     afraid.
>

> Like most of us on this list, I use XeTeX, value it enormously, and depend on
> it for day-to-day work.  But it's becoming clear to me that the long-term
> maintenance of XeTeX is not assured.

I’m tentatively maintaining XeTeX. TUG is supporting me this year to
continue working on completing the OpenType math engine, look at
the occasional bug report, and consider merging xdvipdfmx into dvipdfmx.

I also intend to look into HarfBuzz integration, but no concrete plans
yet.

Jonathan, though not directly maintaining the code, is still
“supervising” the development activity in some sort.

Regards,
 Khaled