[XeTeX] Can't compile Chinese in Mountain Lion OS X

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at web.de
Sun Jul 29 15:12:22 CEST 2012

Am 29.07.2012 um 13:41 schrieb Alan Hoenig:

> \def\testfonti{STKaiti}% a `large' font; 32493 characters
> \def\testfontii{Kaiti SC Bold}% a `small' font; 8535 characters

To me, not having Mac OS X 10.8, it looks as if the "small" font is a Small Caps font. It can't have an Unicode encoding. To use these small glyphs you would have to activate font features that select the small caps in bold face from the font (family).

Second thought: You're not using that font, but you are loading something belonging to the same font family. This could cause the trouble. How does it work when you comment the \def\testfontii and \font\2 lines?

How many STKaiti font files do you have? Are any duplicates shown in Font Book? If there are they can cause trouble.

And particularly you are using an old version of XeTeX. Presumingly 2008 and self-compiled ("XeTeXk"). There have been a few and necessary updates to xetex and xdvipdfmx in the last four years, a whole Olympiad.

I recommend to install a recent version of TeX Live. After having performed your tests you can switch back to your old and active TeX installation.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Chicago, n.:
        Where the dead still vote … early and often!