[XeTeX] Can't compile Chinese in Mountain Lion OS X

Alan Hoenig ezchinesey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 13:41:12 CEST 2012

Good morning, Herb!

Here is a very short file which illustrates the problem:

%%% Start of test file
\def\testfonti{STKaiti}% a `large' font; 32493 characters
\def\testfontii{Kaiti SC Bold}% a `small' font; 8535 characters
\font\1 = "\testfonti" at 10pt
\font\2 = "\testfontii" at 10pt

This is a test. One: {\1 仁} % Line A (calls large Chinese font)

This is a test. Two: % {\2 仁} % Line B (calls small Chinese font)

\bye
%%% End of test file

Here's what happens.  Comment out the call to the large Chinese font in
Line A, and the file compiles/displays properly.  Uncomment Line A, and the
perplexing error messages appear.  Here is a copy of TeXShop's console
display:

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)

 %&-line parsing enabled.

entering extended mode

(./chitest.tex [1]

** WARNING ** Unable to read OpenType/TrueType Unicode cmap table.

** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font "STKaiti"

** ERROR ** Invalid glyph index (gid 13384)

Output file removed.

 )

Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;

file chitest.pdf may not be valid.

Transcript written on chitest.log.

I'm running Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8) on my Mac Mini, using TeXShop 3.11
which calls XeTeX Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7).  A font
called `STKaiti' was present on OSX10.7; I don't know if it is the same as
the one currently part of 10.8.  I think    'Kaiti SC Bold' is a Chinese
font new to 10.8.

Any insight you can provide will put me in your debt FOREVER!  Thanks...

---Alan