[XeTeX] Footnote rule line without any footnote text material

Andy Black andy_black at sil.org
Mon Jul 9 20:39:16 CEST 2012

In some very rare circumstances, I'm getting a footnote rule line
continued on a second page when there is no reason for it.  The entire
footnote text is on the previous page and there are no other footnotes
on the second page.  I assume that either there is something in my .tex
file that is causing this or else this is a bug.  It certainly is not
expected or wanted behavior.

I'm attaching a minimal XeLaTeX file that demonstrates the problem.  It
includes the .tex, .pdf, and .log files so hopefully the version numbers
of the various packages will be clear (from the log file) and you can
try and reproduce this problem.  It does appear that what fonts are used
may be crucial.  I'm using Times New Roman on Windows, Mac, and Linux
and get the problem.  On the Mac, using Times also had the problem.  You
may be able to substitute the Doulos SIL font for another font and still
get the problem (Tahoma also had the problem on Windows).  The Doulos
SIL font is available at
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=DoulosSIL_download.

Thanks so much for looking into this.  Any suggestions for solving it
will be greatly appreciated.

--Andy