[XeTeX] Help with XeTeX/ConTeXT and CTL

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:38:39 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if there is some problem with the Graphite handling SMP code
> points? While typesetting (using Ctrl+T in TeXWorks) I still get the
> segfault I reported. I hope you people can reproduce that too.
>
> I note that if I comment out the \adinatha line and leave the SMP UTF
> text in, I get a series of boxes but no segfault, so it is not a
> problem with SMP text being part of the UTF-8 file but it seems to be
> a problem with the Graphite rendering trying to handle SMP text
> (maybe?).

Of course, you people would have noticed that I have by default
commented out the line with Brahmi text, which is why it does not
segfault as I have given it to you. To reproduce the segfault, remove
the %.

I also tested with a version of the font with OT tables added:

https://sites.google.com/site/jamadagni/files/temp/Adinatha%20Tamil%20Brahmi%20gr-and-ot.otf

The curious thing is that now with this TTF there is no more segfault.
With /GR not included, there is no rendering and the glyphs are just
placed there. (I tried script=brah and script=deva to induce OT
behaviour but no luck.) With /GR included, actually I'm getting some
rendering, but there are still some boxes. (There is a warning of a
bad CMAP mapping -- I wonder.) But since this is a version with OT
tables I'm not sure if the renderer being used is Gr or OT.

Very confusing... :-(

--
Shriramana Sharma