[XeTeX] fonts: where to find? how to activate bold face?

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Wed Jan 25 12:59:50 CET 2012

Quoting Pander (pander at users.sourceforge.net):
> I can give you the commands directly but in order to improve your
> capacity to solv your own issue I need to ask:
>   - what did you read in the fontspec's manual
>   - what did you try exactly (minimal example)
> Probably when gathering this information you will see the answer
> yourself ;) otherwise I will help you out.

Well, I did not yet create a minimal example, and I did not spend enough
time with the fontspec manual. That's why I postponed asking again until
after I made time for that. Unfortunately, I do not have a working XeTeX on
the system I'm working at now, so any testing on my part will have to wait
until tonight. If you want to wait until I did some more work myself, fine
with me ;-)

I can give you the latest version of what I did, but cannot check if it's a
working minimal example:

\documentclass[12pt]{scrartcl}
\usepackage{etex}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\begin{document}

\defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
\protect\setromanfont[%
	FakeBold=1.5,%
%	FakeSlant=0.2,%
	AutoFakeBold=1.5,%
%	AutoFakeSlant=0.2,%
	BoldFeatures={FakeBold=1.5},%
]{Argor Man Scaqh}

Test of normal versus bold Text\\
\textbf{Test of normal versus bold Text}

\end{document}

I played with the FakeBold settings, even with activating only some of the
lines, but did not come to anything that makes those two lines look
different.

The Argor Man Scaqh is a free true type font. You can obtain it from a lot
of places in the 'net, one of which (identical with the version I am using)
is http://www.schriftarten-fonts.de/fonts/12558/argor_man_scaqh.html

Thanks for your offer of help,

	Susan