[XeTeX] Off topic: Devanagari fonts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:57:05 CET 2012

2012/1/6 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/6 Steve White <stevan.white at googlemail.com>:
>> Hi, bhutex!
>>
>> I'm the admin of GNU FreeFont.
>>
>> You mentioned some problems with the Hindi/Devnagari range in FreeSans.
>>
> I did not know that FreeSans and FreeSerif contain contain Devanagari.
> The fonts were installed with my Linux distribution thus I will try to
> make some tests.
>
>> We try very hard to address any bugs promptly, but can only do so if they
>> are reported to us (in enough detail we can understand).
>>
>> Please report problems on the FreeFont bugs page!

FreeSans looks weli in my computer but FreeSerif is totally broken,
probably all the GPOS tables for Devanagari are missing. However, my
Linux is very old, I will try to find a new version of the fonts

Before reporting I would like to ask one question. In all Devanagari
fonts I have ever seen the long independent A (U+0906) looks
graphicaly as if short independent A (U+0905) was followed by long A
matra (U+093E). In FrreSerif and FreeSans the vertical stems in the
long independent A are too close to each other. When looking to the
text it is not well readable. Is this just my feeling or should I
report it as a bug?